Thursday, April 12, 2012



Some good news

Back in February, UKanians learned that their public service was enabling tax-cheating by senior public servants. I was curious about whether such dubious arrangements were used here, so I did a quick survey of major government departments (SSC, Treasury, MSD, MED, MFAT, IRD, Justice, Health, Crown law, and CERA), asking them how many employees they had who were paid over $100,000, and whether any of them were paid by any means other than personal salary (e.g. through a company or trust). So far I've received responses from half of those departments, and the news is good: none of them use such arrangements. I wasn't expecting to find any, but its good that I can ask and confirm that our public service is as clean and professional as I expect it to be.